If you’re relocating to, from, or within Maryland, you’ll want to make sure you understand what’s required of you in terms of DMV paperwork. Before you can completely settle in as a resident, you’ll need to have your Maryland DMV Change of Address documents in order, including your driver’s license address and, if appropriate, your vehicle’s registration.
It’s a good idea to have all of your paperwork in order as soon as possible, especially if you plan on driving in the state or applying for jobs. There isn’t much time to spend because Maryland requires you to file your change of address documentation within 60 days of establishing residency in the state.
Are you unsure where to begin? This is where we can help. We’ve compiled all of the information you’ll need to know about Maryland MVA change of address, so read on and then visit a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration office to get started.
What do I need to transfer my license to Maryland?
- A valid out-of-state driver’s license is required
- Another form of identification
- Proof of your Social Security number is required
- Proof of your new address and proof of your new place
- You must pass a vision exam
- The charge of getting a new driver’s license
- The cost of registering as a new resident is $42.00
- Obtaining a Maryland driver’s license for the first time as a resident ($72.00).
How to Change Your Address with the Maryland DMV?
If You’re Moving to Maryland from Another State
If you’re relocating to Maryland from another state, will you require a new driver’s license?
Because you can’t complete a Maryland change of address online or over the phone, you’ll have to go to a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration office in person to obtain a Maryland driver’s license, as a formerly out-of-state resident.
Expect Maryland driver’s licenses for new residents to only be available to those who do not have any outstanding suspensions, revocations, or cancellations on their out of state driver’s license and who have not been previously deemed unfit or unsafe to drive by the MD DMV or an outside court, as is the case in most states.
When you go to the Maryland DMV, you’ll need to bring the following documents:
- Current out-of-state driver’s license
- Identification proof
- Evidence of the legal presence
- Card of Social Security
- Proof of Maryland residence is required (two documents).
If your name on your evidence of identification does not match the name on your current driver’s license, you must also present documentation of a legal name change, such as your court order, marriage license, or divorce decree.
Is there a charge for this service?
Yes. A new driver’s license costs $9 in Maryland, however, charges may vary depending on the circumstances. A comprehensive list of fees may be seen here.
Is a driving test required for a Maryland DMV address change?
No, a Maryland driving test is not required as long as your out-of-state driver’s license is current and valid. However, you must pass a vision exam.
What is the time limit for obtaining a Maryland driver’s license or identification card?
Maryland requires that you complete your DMV change of address application within 60 days after moving to the state. So, how can you tell if you’re a legal resident? Visit the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if you intend to:
- At least 7 months of the year, you must reside in Maryland
- Register to vote in Maryland
- Work in the state of Maryland
- Run a business out of Maryland.
How much time do you have to change your vehicle’s registration before it expires?
Maryland requires you to register your car within 60 days after relocating to the state.
As a new Maryland resident, how do you change your vehicle’s registration?
As a new resident of Maryland, you have three options for updating your vehicle registration.
1. Go to a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration office and fill out an application in person. Please remember to bring the following documents:
- Your title or registration document from another state
- Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate, which is valid for 90 days from the date of the inspection
- Certificate of Title Application (Form VR-005)
Proof of vehicle value and your lease agreement are two more papers that may be needed. More information on document requirements may be found here.
2. Send your documents by mail. Send the documentation mentioned above to Maryland’s Out-of-State Title Unit, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, MD 21062, to register your car by mail.
3. Go to an MVA-approved tag and title servicing center. Instead of waiting in line at the DMV, go to a Maryland tag and title service agency.
What is the cost of registration?
The cost of registering a non-commercial car in Maryland varies, so check the charge list to find out how much it will cost you.
If You’re Moving Within Maryland
When you move inside Maryland, you must update your driver’s license with your new address within 30 days (and no, changing your address at the post office will do).
When it comes to changing your address on your Maryland driver’s license, you have three options:
1. Complete an online Maryland MVA change of address form. You may do so right now. Make a note of your existing Maryland driver’s license number as well as your social security number’s last four digits.
2. Pay a visit to a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration office. Locate a Maryland driver’s license office and complete a Maryland DMV change of residence form in person.
3. By mail. Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Room 203, Glen Burnie, MD 21062, will accept your completed change of address form (VR-154).
How much does it cost to change your address in Maryland?
The DMV will update your Maryland address for free, but you will have to pay for a fresh driver’s license with your new address. Fees may be found here.
What information do you need to provide in order to update your driver’s license address?
You will need to give the following information to modify your address on your Maryland driver’s license or identity card:
- Change of Address Form (Completed)
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license number.
To change your car registration, what information do you need to provide?
To update your vehicle’s registration, you’ll need to present the identical change of address paperwork mentioned above.
You may change your vehicle’s registration online or in person, or submit your information to Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Room 203, Glen Burnie, MD 21062, much like your driver’s license.
If you’re moving inside Maryland, will you need a new driver’s license?
Not unless you want one.
If You’re Moving From Maryland to Another State
Is it necessary to inform Maryland if you’re relocating to another state without a registered vehicle?
No. Maryland will automatically cancel your MD driver’s license whenever you obtain a driver’s license in your new home state.
Is it necessary to inform the state of Maryland if you’re moving your registered car to another state?
Is it necessary for you to return your Maryland license plates?
When you relocate, Maryland law requires you to surrender your state license plates. This is how you do it.
FAQs – Maryland MVA Change Of Address
When should I notify the Maryland DMV of my move?
Within 30 days of establishing residency in Maryland, you must notify the Maryland DMV.
Is it necessary for me to take a driving test?
When changing your address on your driver’s license in Maryland, you will not be required to take the driving test.
Will submitting an official Change of Address Form to the United States Postal Service update my vehicle registration records?
No, completing an official USPS Change of Address Form will not change the information on your DMV records.
Do I have to return the license plates if I move to another state?
The Maryland DMV requires you to return your license plates.
Is it possible to update both my name and address on my driver’s license at the same time?
If you’re applying for a new license or ID, you can only change your name and address at the same time. Otherwise, both processes will necessitate their procedures.
In conclusion, if you are relocating inside Maryland, to or from Maryland, you must change your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The Department of Motor Automobiles (DMV) is a state-level government organization in charge of all things relating to vehicles and licensing. At a Maryland DMV location, you can update your address online, in person, or by mail.
You must change your address with the Maryland DMV within 30 days after your move. It is necessary for you to update your vehicle registration and driver’s license information. To get started, you should use our Maryland MVA change of address guide. Hope you find our guide useful for you. Thank you!
If you are planning to obtain a new driver’s license, let’s get started with our free DMV practice test to strengthen your knowledge and skills then pass your exam with a high score.