Renewal of your driver’s license may be a hassle, but it’s much simpler to deal with if you know the essentials of the procedure ahead of time. You might incur fines and penalties if you don’t renew your license before its expiration and continue to drive. This guide is everything you need to know about New York DMV License Renewal.
When to Renew Your New York Driver’s License
The New York DMV will send you a renewal notice in the mail about a month and a half before your NY driver’s license expires. You can renew it up to a year before and no more than 2 years after its expiration date.
If you are about to turn 21:
- If you renew your driver’s license more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, it will have the “Under 21” label.
- If you renew your license fewer than 40 days before your 21st birthday, it will not have the “Under 21” label.
What Do You Need When Renewing Your License?
Here are the basic documents required to renew your New York driver’s license:
- Current New York driver’s license
- Proof of legal name change
- Proof of identity
- Proof of citizenship
- Social Security Number
- Renewal fees.
- Vision test results (if renewing by mail or online)
Note: for the vision test results
- You must be able to see at 20/40 in one or both eyes without glasses or contacts to pass the test. You may be exempt from the New York DMV vision test if you have medical documentation of a vision condition.
- If you just see less than 20/40, you must renew your New York driver’s license in person instead of online or by mail. In this case, you need to bring your Form MV44 and other requirements.
Is there a Grace Period for Expired Driver’s License in NY?
There isn’t any grace period to drive with an expired license in New York State. If you’re caught driving with an expired license, you’ll face fines:
- 60 days or less after expiration: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges.
- 60+ days after expiration: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges.
How to Renew Your New York Driver’s License?
You may be able to renew your New Your driver’s license online, by mail or in-person depending on your eligibility and circumstances.
Renew Your License Online
If you’re eligible to renew your NY driver’s license online, you’ll need to log in to the New York State MyDMV website, create an account if you do not already have one. You can use the NY MyDMV online renewal service at no additional fees.
You can not renew your New York driver’s license online if you:
- Have not provided your SSN to the NY DMV previously.
- Have a regular NY driver’s license and wish to convert to an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or REAL ID.
- Have a conditional, suspended, revoked, or restricted driver’s license.
- Have a NY driver’s license showing Valid Without Photo.
- Reside outside of the United States (including military addresses).
- Have a vision or hearing restriction.
- Have an address different from the one is listed on your NY DMV records.
DMV provides additional NY driver’s license online renewal restrictions. And note that:
- If you have an enhanced ID or REAL ID, you will be able to renew your driver’s license online.
- If you would like to renew your license and obtain an enhanced ID or REAL ID, you will need to visit a DMV office in person.
Renew Your License By Mail
To renew your NY driver’s license by mail, you’ll need to have:
- Proof of your vision test results.
- A NY driver’s license renewal notice was completed and signed. If you do not have a renewal notice, fill out the Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44) and provide proof of your identity.
- Payment for your application fee.
You can choose to send your application.
- If you prefer to send your driver’s license via the U.S. postal service, please send your application and Identification documents to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles
State Office Building
207 Genesee St Ste 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
- If you prefer to send your license via Express Mail, please send your application and Identification documents to the following address:
DMV License Production Bureau
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
You will receive your renewed NY driver’s license within 2 weeks of processing. If you haven’t received it, contact the NY DMV to check the status of your order.
Renewal for Out-of-State Residents
If you are a New York resident and are currently outside of the state, follow the instructions above but need to note other requirements:
- Your proof of vision test results must have the doctor’s professional license number.
- You can require your state’s DMV office to send the results of their eye exam (the exam cannot be older than 6 months) instead of going to a private eye care professional.
- Remember to include your current out-of-state address and do not write your current out-of-state address on the MV-44 application.
Renew Your License In Person
To renew your driver’s license at your local NY DMV office in person, you will need:
- A completed and signed renewal notice (will be sent 50 days before the expiration date by DMV). If not, fill out an Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
- Proof of your vision test results.
- Payment for your application fee.
Then you will be issued your newly renewed New York driver’s license.
Renewal for Military
If you’re on active military duty and stationed outside of New York, your license is extended automatically for 6 months after you return to the state or are discharged from the service.
If your license expires while you’re out of state, you can also mail a Notification of Military Service (Form MV-75) to ensure that your driving record is not removed from the DMV system.
If you’re currently stationed in Germany, please note that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver’s license in addition to your USAREUR license.
If your NY driver’s license expires before you can submit your form, you have to mail the form and a letter from your commanding officer confirming:
The date you entered military service (must be earlier than the date your NYS driver’s license expired).
- The date you enlisted (must be earlier than your NYS driver’s license expiration of date).
- Your active duty status.
After submitting your form, you may renew your license by mail, or wait to submit your New York MVC license renewal when returning to New York.
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please note that in addition to your USAREUR license, some states require you to have a valid US driver’s license.
Renewal for Non-U.S. Citizen
You may renew your license using the same methods as everyone else as long as the paperwork on file has not expired. Once your visitor status has been extended, you must go to the DMV and submit the documentation provided by the Department of Homeland Security. This will update the expiration date of your license.
Can I renew my license after it expires NY?
You can still renew your license if it has been 2 years or less since your NY driver’s license expired.
If more than 2 years after your NY driver’s license expiration date, you must reapply for a New York driver’s license. This process includes a vision test, road test, NYC permit test, and pre-licensing course.
What happens if you drive with a suspended license in NY?
You might face a significant fine of up to 30 days in prison or probation if you drive while your license is suspended in New York. You’ll also be subject to a mandatory fine of $200 to $500, as well as an obligatory fee.
If your driver’s license is suspended or revoked, you cannot renew it. Instead, you may apply for a NY state ID card. The New York DMV will require you to surrender your driver’s license.
What do you do if you lose your driver’s license in NY?
If your driver’s license has been lost or stolen, report it to your local police department.
New York DMV may abandon your renewal or replacement fee if you properly report the theft or loss of your driver’s license by following the steps below:
- Complete Form MV-78B from the local police, that is Report of Lost, Stolen or Confiscated Motor Vehicles Items.
- Bring your photo identification.
- After completing these steps, go to New York DMV office and submit the requirements.
How much does it cost to renew your New York state driver’s license?
The renewal fee depends on each type of license as the chart below.
An enhanced driver’s license (EDL) needs the additional fee of $30.00, added to the renewal fees for the driver’s license. If you have a Driver’s License Class M or MJ endorsement on your Class E, D, DJ, or non-CDL Class C license, you will need to add $8 to the fee above.
A REAL ID needs no additional fee, just the normal renewal fee.
MCTD (Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District) fee applies to the following counties:
- Kings (Brooklyn)
- New York (Manhattan)
- Richmond (Staten Island)
You need to pay a supplemental fee of $1 to the MCTD for every 6 months your driver’s license is in effect. The MCTD fee is $16 for an 8-year driver’s license.
You may use the following credit cards for online transactions:
- American Express
- Discover Card/Novus
For mail transactions, you can pay by check or money order to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
If you apply at a DMV office in person, you can pay with:
- Major credit or debit cards
- Personal checks
- Money orders
That’s the ultimate guide of New York DMV license renewal. We wish this article will be something useful for you. Remember to pay attention to your driver’s license expiration to avoid unnecessary fines. Furthermore, if you want to obtain the new NY driver’s license, you may take our DMV practice test to be familiar with the questions as well as the format of the actual test.